Re: Commuter Tires

On 4/25/06, Tpcutter@xxxxxxx <Tpcutter@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> In a message dated 4/25/06 8:50:12 AM Eastern  Standard Time,
> emoto1@xxxxxxxxx writes:
> I think it is unwise to run tires  down this far. Sure, sometimes you
> can get caught out and it happens, but to  use visible corrd as a wear
> indicator is not a good idea, and one should have  new tires on well
> before cord is reached. Your tires are safety items.  Replace them
> early and often!
>
> I have to ask if you thought i did not  know that?

I was sure that you did, but there are a lot of people reading the
list who may not know any better, and who may take your comments as
the best way to do things because of your outstanding wrenching
skills.

> But the Z6 tire has a
> layer of thin cotton cord molded into the  rubber JUST as a wear indicator. Like
> my post said, there is almost 3 mm of  rubber BENEATH the cord. I know because
> i do stuff like cut tires apart to  see.

I do stuff like that too (it's fun!), but for the average Joe, who
doesn't have the kind of riding experience that you (and some others
do) it is simply bad policy to run a tire down so far that there is no
tread left in the center of the tire, nevermind cord showing. Not only
is such a tire illegal in 50 states, but it offers reduced traction in
many conditions and may also have a higher risk of puncture. Unless
one is down to his last dollar, it just isn't worth running a tire
that far down.

Bob