R1100S

Bruno & List:

>I wouldn't be surprised for the S to vibrate more. The S was a regular Boxer
in a higher state of tune. Compression ratio was higher than a regular
boxer. Don't know about possibly higher performnace cams and/or larger valve
sizes. Can't remember now since it was first introduced. But I do remember
at introduction that the extra power came from normal  hot rodding
techniques.

I rode an R1100 S for 3 days of an Edelweiss trip in the French Alps.   The
next 3 days I got a brand new hex-head 1200GS.   I liked the GS lots more and
was quicker on it in the hills due to the better riding position, better
brakes and more grunt, but I didn't feel the S was very vibey.   It wasn't as
smooth as the GS, but I attributed that difference to balance shafts.  The S
seemed on par with my 1150 RT as far as vibration.   Very livable.   I just
fail to see what that riding position offers anyone on real roads.   I don't
even like being bent over like that on a track because it shortens my sight
lines through the corners.

>I'd expect that if you took compression back down to regular Boxer level ie
R1100 RT etc, that vibration would decrease somewhat.
>Bruno

Easily fixed, Bruno, just leave the break in oil in for 10,000 miles or so.
Compression will go down!!!

- -TB