Premature clutch failure

Ok So we can start with I am a dumb ***.
6k trip adjusted all the cables ect before I left. On the way home guess
My Clutch cable got out of adjustment Dont know if it was clutch wear or
what.
All was fine untill about 50 miles from home I went to pass a truck (I
live in Texas so it was about 105) Pulling up the hill fine all of a
sudden clutch starts to slip.
That is when I notice clutch cable is tight.
Took it easy all the rest of the way home.
Adjusted the cable and took it out for a ride yesterday and I can brak the
clutch loose at about 6k RPM in 5th gear.
2 questions.
What would cause this kind of failure. Keep in mind I had been in the
rockies and had cause to heavy accelerate up much worse hills with no
problems.
second (pretty sure I know this answer) Am I looking at a clutch plate
replacement or do I do the whole clutch pak assembly?
Thanks Gator in Dallas