GasMileage/Surging

According to John Parker, skilled engine tuner and lead technician at Budds
BMW, he says that preferences for spark plug brand is like a religion:
People swear by it because they allege it makes their life better, but they
don't know how it works. Autolite plugs are a famous case in point for their
alleged ability to reduce or eliminate surging in Oilheads.

My R1100S surged, and John Parker fixed it. And he knows why his fix worked.
<<snipped>>
Note: Parker warned me that before I "shoot off my mouth on the Internet"
(he used slightly nicer words), make sure I mention that his experience
indicates that the plugs he installed for me aren't a magic bullet. They may
not do the trick on another Oilhead, nor even another R1100S. I guess that's
where having a skilled engine tuner helps.

- - -Steve Makohin
'01 R1100S/ABS
Oakville, Ontario, Canada

I had some surging issues, very mild, w/my 94 R11RS.  I put in the NGK plugs
and it got better.  I had the 36k mile service done by Santa Fe BMW: the surge
disappeared.  Good carb sync, replaced vacuum hoses, good valve adjustment.
They kept the nearly-new NGKs.  I would agree m/Mssrs. Parker and Makohin: a
skilled engine tuner helps.
BTW, my mileage varies between 48/gal hwy to 38/gal w/aggressive city driving.
Stay safe,
Murali Levine
Santa Fe, NM