Re: R1100s front end "rattle" & rear wheel play

Hello Kit,

From: "Kit Scally" <kitscally@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> '98 R1100s - no smashes, fiberglass shrouds all fit well, regularly
> serviced, now with 105,000 genuine road kms. In the last 3-6 months (?),
> there's been an annoying rattle (like a loose metal mudguard) every time
> the
> front wheel goes over a small road discontinuity ('cat's eye' for
> example).
> Nothing really evident on normal road surfaces.
>
> No discernable side-side play in the front wheel or fork assy.  Could not
> figure out a home-check to determine if the front shock was "loose". Both
> calipers tight as are front guards.  Everything in the headlight shell
> department untouched since new and certainly appears tight.
>
> Any thoughts on (a) the cause - and (b) any practical test to confirm/deny
> likely cause(s)?
[...]

I assume the sound is a dull thud as opposed to being a metallic clank.

Have you done anything to the bike within the timeframe that the rattle
started appearing, such as having some sort of service performed? It is
possible that the issue arose during that time, and the sound manifested
some time after, like a loose battery, or a part that worked its way loose.

If I was in your shoes, the first thing I would do is to remove the fairing
and go for a test ride. If the sound disappears, you know it has to do with
the faring, or wind noise now masking the sound due to lack of fairing, so
beware of that possibility. The removed fairing *may* also let you see a
loose part, such as the air intake hose.

- -Steve Makohin
 '01 R1100S/ABS
 Oakville, Ontario, Canada