Re: roadside timing

At 09:05 PM 1/10/2007 +0000, conrad long wrote:
>On Tue, 9 Jan 2007 10:00:18 -0500
>"Dancoe, John" wrote:
>
><snip>Incidentally is there any reason a standard timing strobe won't work
>on these
>bikes? >snip
>
>     John, I believe it's because the Motronic uses the static setting as
> a starting point for it's program. If you use the idle setting to set the
> timing, it could throw off the rest of the curve. At least that's what
> I've gleaned; always ready and eager to learn more.

I'm just about positive that the Motronic advances the timing to 6 degrees
advanced as soon as the engine is running. Static timing is, indeed, 0 degrees
or TDC.
If you are 'on the road' and need to replace the HES, setting it so the
three screws are centered in the slots will get you home.

Mick
Tucson