Re: Off Topic

Hello Fritz,

From: "Fritz Curtis" <fritzc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

OT but it bugs me!
Pennsylvania Dutch = German
Deutch = German
Dutch = Hollander
How did Hollanders become "Dutch"?
And how did Deutch become German?

I don't know the answer, but just to add more complexity to your question, the country some refer to as Holland is properly called the Netherlands. People from there call themselves Netherlanders. Holland is just a province of the country known as the Netherlands.

With respect to the name "German" and "Germany", the people of that country call it Deutschland. Great Britain, like so many other countries, has its own name for other countries and other peoples. So if you live in the English speaking world, the country of Deutschland is known as the Anglicized "Germany." If you live in some parts of Eastern Russia, the country of Deutschland is known as "Nyimehchihna" (spelled phonetically, because I don't have a Cyrillic keyboard) and its inhabitants "Nyimtsi" (spelled phonetically).

For more of "How the English gave their own name to someone else's places", visit Ireland, where Celtic names have been Anglicized to sound vaguely similar to the Celtic original, or just plain English.

-Steve Makohin
'01 R1100S/ABS
Oakville, Ontario, Canada