Removing tranny and driveshaft at once?

Hi,

I've got a broken clutch so I've begun yesterday taking my R1100RT
apart. I wonder whether it is possible/feasible to remove the whole
rear end in one piece? Saves me buying the oversized hex key and
fooling around with the heat gun... it shouldn't be too heavy (and I
tied the final drive to the subframe which itself is suspended from
the steering wheel - so I should be able to manouver the
tranny+driveshaft+final drive as one piece without taking too much
weight).

Is it a sensible shortcut? Or should I buy the hex key and take the
driveshaft apart?

TIA,

Cees