Garmin GPSes: 1 map product, on only 1 GPS

Hello everyone,

I am disappointed to have to tell you that Garmin no longer allows you to use their Map data on 2 GPSes, unless you buy ($$) a second unlock code. I have an email from Garmin Tech Support that told me I can not get a second, free unlock code for the same data (I tried earlier today). Further evidence is on the Garmin web site:
http://shop.garmin.com/cartography/mapsource/policy.asp

Garmin used to allow you to get 2 unlock codes to let you copy 1 map product, such as City Navigator, to 2 GPSes. No more.

I suppose that most people will not be affected, as most folks only have 1 GPS. Folks like the wife and me, will likely not be buying the second data disk. We'll likely alternate updates.

The folks who are most likely to be affected are those who didn't have Map data of their own, but instead, piggy-backed off a friend's second (at one time legal) unlock code.

-Steve Makohin
'01 R1100S/ABS
Oakville, Ontario, Canada