RE: Downshifting and such

Tom,
As you said, it depends on the bike.

My Roadster has plenty of torque from 3500 wheras the RT is good from 4200
rpm up.  Thus while my "twisty" speed is exactly the same on either bike, I
possibly use a more leisurely rpm on the R.  I'm sure you agree that a big
twin has good compression braking even at slightly lower rpm (and good
torque delivery at lower rpm).

Maybe at 67 I have passed the age where a noisely revving engine interests
me and is possible the reason I choose to ride BMWs  ;>)    I like to
operate more in stealth mode but not give up any twisty speed to anyone.

YMMV

Regards
Clive Liddell
Pietermaritzburg