Re: Oil Filler

So I guess it's time to change to the fancy screw-down unit...... does anyone happen to know the name of it:)  Or is it something I can pick up at the local dealer?

  gregory

Tom Brown <tbrown@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  Greg:

Not sure which bike you have, but, since you bought a Twin, Max, I'm
guessing it's an Oilhead and not a hex-head.

I had this problem. I think everyone does at some time. I didn't have
much luck with cleaning and re-inserting. Maybe I didn't have enough
faith. Anyway, I bought a fancy aluminum screw-down unit. It has nice
Viton gaskets and both the plug and the collar are really well made. It
used the same allen wrench size as the oil plug. Once installed, I never
had another leak.

A word of caution. You MUST remove the head cover to install the collar.
The collar comes with two tiny set-screws to hold it securely in. A friend
of mine tried installing without removing the cover and dropped one of the
set screws down into the engine. He missed a very good trip to Deal's Gap
because of it and ended up paying someone to disassemble the engine to find
the blasted thing. It got lodged in the timing chain. Might have caused
real damage if he'd started the engine up.

Aren't we just full of fun stories?

-TB