RE: oilheads-digest V4 #138

Date: Sun, 02 Dec 2007 06:23:55 -0600
From: Mark Rivera <marr@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: R1100R head gasket

I've been getting some leakage around a head gasket on my 02/1997
R1100R, and plan to replace it.

It's part 10 here:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=0407&mospid=47947&btnr=11_1838&;
hg=11&fg=20

I'm not sure what the info in the Notes column means. Any ideas?

Also, why does the Description column say "4 components"?

thanks,
Mark

------------------------------

Mark,

You might want to try retorquing the heads before you replace the gaskets.
I've forgotten what the intervale is, but there is a periodic maintenance step
that requires retorquing the heads using a torque angle guage and a torque
wrench. The R1100 service manual describes the proceedure.

Cheers,

Bob Covey
Thousand Oaks CA
'96 R1100RT