Re: Serious R1150R oil leak

Guys

I want to say a big thanks to all of you who responded to my plea for help -
I really appreciate it and some of the links that you pointed me at were
excellent.

I checked the gaskets (yet again) and all was fine - however, once I had
been convinced by you guys that it was not likely to be a head gasket leak
or similar, I took a really carefull look at the rocker box cover. Where the
Spark plug post joins the actual cover there was a hairline crack in the
casting. It stayed hairline until I stressed it, then it opened up!!

Obviously under torque, the crack worsens and leaks oil big style, but then
when  I loosened the bolts, the darned thing closed up again, so it was very
tough to see. But it does explain the oil all over the place!!

So today, I am phoning around to find a new rocker cover  - magnesium twin
spark in blue - right hand -anybody got one spare, I know someone who needs
one!!!

A codecil to this tale is also painful - I have two bikes, the beemer and a
Guzzi 750 - the Guzzi is due to be sold as soon as the beemer is on the
road. But due to the oil leak, I have been using Guzzi more than I wanted as
I had prepared it to sell. Last night on the way home, at about 45 mph, it
stalled or similar, locked up and tried to throw me over the handlebars.
After a bit of excitement, I hung on and then nursed it home on one cylinder
with a lot of banging & crashing from the engine department. DIff, g,box &
clutch all seem OK, engine does not - I suspect I have thrown a rod - strip
down at the weekend will tell!!!!

Not fair, this is the best weather we have had for ages & both bikes laid
up!!!

http://www.nabble.com/file/p15407333/cracked%2Brocker.jpg
http://www.nabble.com/file/p15407333/guzzi.jpg