RE: problem with adventure

The problem with adventure is this:

"An adventure is something that sounds fun when you're sitting home by the
fire...and makes you wish you were sitting home by the fire when you're
actually doing it."

Seriously, Clive had some good advice, follow that first because it's easier
and cheaper than this scenario: worn throttle body & shaft.

Your mileage is pretty low for that problem, and it's my understanding that
newer bikes (like yours) actually have bearings supporting their
shafts--unlike my '93 in which the brass shaft simply rode directly in a bore
in the alloy casting. Just plain crappy design; entirely consistent with my
decades of experience with Bing fuel-mixing devices.

You can check for this condition by pulling back the right-hand air tube (the
RH shaft will wear out before the LH), running the engine as close to idle as
possible, and looking at the thottle plate. If it's flopping back and forth,
or if by putting slight pressure on the plate with your finger the engine
smooths out, you've got a bad shaft.

In my case, I tried replacing the shaft, which was all galled up. That helped
a bit but not much since the bore was also, in technical terms, wopped out.

Replacing the throttle body assemblies would have been the easiest and
cheapest solution; instead, as I'd long threatened, I replaced the
UGWPOFSBings with carburetors.

Which is an "adventure" story I still owe the list!

Regards,
John Dancoe
'93 R1100RS
'74 R60/6