Re: Electrical cut-out R1100RS tipped to left

I think Tom nailed it,? I am always amazed at the small gauge of wire that BMW uses.??It seems like it must be about 20 gauge in some spots.?? And the insulation is always thin.?? Not much room for any abuse or over loading.?? Perhaps they do it in the name of lightness or economy but the bikes don't have that much wire in them and it does lead to other reliablity issues.

Paige

-----Original Message-----
From: Tom Cutter <tpcutter@xxxxxxx>
To: wayne@xxxxxxxxx; plpklt@xxxxxxx
Cc: oilheads@xxxxxxxxx
Sent: Tue, 22 Apr 2008 9:19 am
Subject: Re: Electrical cut-out R1100RS tipped to left

Wayne W. wrote:?
?
<<'Older' R1100S's have 2 fuse boxes, each with 4 fuses, on either side?
of the fairing.?
?
'Newer' R1100S's have a single fuse box on the left side of the?
fairing with 8 fuses. I have an '04 with this configuration.?
?
I would suspect that wiring changes were made incorrectly. I've never?
heard of such problems with the factory harness. >>?
?
I've seen several total harness failures on the R11S. Mine was in first-stage failure when I caught it due to a failed taillamp. As I traced the trouble, I found broken wires and melted insulation. Ducdude's harnedd melted down., too. I do not attribute either failure to poor accessory installation, but to BMW's use of inadequate guage wire and poor support of the harness at critical lovations like near the steering head. Add the fact that the poor quality insulation just falls off the wire, and you have the recipe for disaster. I recommend replacement of any R1100S harness that exhibits first-stage failures, because it is a signal that the rest of the bike may follow.?
?
Tom Cutter?
Yardley, PA?
http://www.RubberChickenRacingGarage.com?
*Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference.*?