ABS Failure

Paul:

I had an 1150 RT with the same system you have on your RS.  It didn't give
me any trouble, but then again, I didn't hit a driveshaft.

The first thing I'd try is completely draining and re-bleeding the whole
system just to eliminate the possibility that air is in the servo side of
the system.  Read up on this before you try it.  It's tricky.  You may want
a qualified dealer to do it who has the BMW computer equipment.

The brakes were the worst thing about this beautiful bike they weren't
really bad, but neither were they exactly rider friendly.  When the engine
was on, the brakes were too sensitive making it a real challenge to make
smooth stops.  When the engine was off, like pushing it around the garage,
it was very hard to get any braking power.  If I were spending the kind of
money you're considering to fix them, I'd definitely look into either
upgrading to a newer ABS Servo system or simply putting a good non-ABS
system together for the bike.

The fact that your bike was in an accident will affect the resale price
anyway. I don't think you'll be out much money in the long run to change the
system.

The later hex-head system is less touchy and has more non-servo power when
the engine is off.

There are list members who've dumped their ABS simply because they didn't
like the pregnant pause that happens when you hit a bump with the brakes on.
Perhaps one of them can give you guidance.

The newer '07 bikes have an even better and simpler system.   It might be
good to check the parts books with a creative dealer and see what
alternatives you have.  If I were spending 4 digits on a repair, I'd like to
get an improvement, but perhaps you can get the job done cheaper by just
bypassing the ABS and servo systems altogether.

-TB