RE: Integral ABS module failure

Clive,

Plan C has some merit and it has crossed my mind.  I did notice a non ABS rear
master cylinder is available
for about $150 US.  I don't recall the diameter, but it was larger then the
one listed for ABS.  For some
reason there are not 2 listings for an MC for the front.  In any case that is
a drastic change that I would have
to consider for a bit.  While I feel the servo assisted brakes are nothing
more that a marketing gimmick,
I do feel that the ABS is a real value.
    regards, paul

> From: cliddell@xxxxxxxxxx> To: oilheads@xxxxxxxxx> Subject: FW: Integral ABS
module failure> Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 17:50:02 +0200> > -----Original
Message-----> From: Clive Liddell [mailto:cliddell@xxxxxxxxxx] > Sent: 21
August 2008 11:41> To: 'paul kalichman'> Subject: RE: Integral ABS module
failure> > Hi Paul,> > Well, if I were in your position I would investigate
Plan C, "converting" my> bike to non-boosted, non-ABS operation. > > I am not
sure if the calliper pistons differ in diameter compared to the> non-boosted
bikes but a quick look at realoem gives the handlebar "master> cylinder"
diameter on your bike as 16mm. > > This is of course only a "control" cylinder
driving the boosting arrangement> and I am sure you would have to replace the
whole RH handlebar unit with a> standard brake lever and master cylinder
(possibly 20mm dia but that's just> a guess).> > The same careful
investigation of the rear brake cylinder would need to be> made. At the end of
the day you would likely have to convert everything to> the R1100 non-ABS
setup but I think you would still come out with> considerable savings.> > I
happen to have a recent quote for a handlebar master cylinder for an F650> and
it is ~US$230 for example so the equivalent R price should be in the> same
ball park...> > I know of at least one person on the IBMWR lists that has
converted an ABS> R1100 to non-ABS R1100 and he is happy with the result.> > I
hope you can resolve your problem!> > Regards> Clive Liddell>
Pietermaritzburg> South Africa> R850R> R1100RT> ===> > Folks,> > I have been
lurking on the list for the last 2 years since I picked up an 02> R1150RS. Not
much to say or add all that time so I just keep quiet. I> really enjoy the
bike, and I find it really refreshing after 23 years of> riding an R80RT. That
being said, I have some drama to share, and a query> to ask at the end.> >
This June I had a little encounter with a object lying in the middle of a 4>
lane divided highway I happened to be riding.> In spite of my 30 years riding
experience, (and the fact that I know better)> I still managed to fixate on
the object, and consequently ran right over it,> at perhaps 120KPH! The impact
was quite severe, as the object in question> was the driveshaft that connects
the two rear axles of a dump truck. Rather> solid and heavy. Amazingly the
bike went right over it, but it did result in> an exciting tank slapper. I
managed to keep the bike upright and aimed her> over to the shoulder.> Once I
was able to pry my fingers off the grips and dismount the bike, I> noticed the
side stand had grown longer as it couldn't be fully extended.> With
difficulty, I hauled her up on the center stand, which had also grown>
longer.> Slowly I regained my senses and it dawned on me that the stands were
not> longer, but the bike was in fact lower as I now had two flat tires.
Indeed,> running over a driveshaft at highway speeds will result in badly bent
rims,> flat tires, and at least one bent brake rotor and damaged caliper.>
Fortunately this was all covered by my insurance, to the tune of $5700>
Canadian dollars.> > Now three weeks later I am in Montana heading to Glacier
National park after> the MOA rally. I attempt to slow down for a RH turn at an
intersection,> nothing happens! No brakes! I squeeze harder. Next thing I
know, and I am> doing a stoppie and the rear wheel is off the ground. I see
the warning lamp> on, and the ABS flashing at 4 hertz.> (At least one brake
circuit in residual braking function mode) I quickly> deduce this isn't
looking too good.> Not one to let a minor inconvenience like intermittent
malfunctioning brakes> to end a good trip, I continue for a few more days,
until I have to head> home. During the 2000 mile trip home to Toronto, I note
the following> symptoms. Sometimes I have only residual braking in the rear,
but power to> the front. Other times only residual braking in the front, but
power to the> rear. Other times no power to either front or rear.> Last but
not least, but most of the time, full power to both, but warning> light on and
ABS lamp flashing.> In all cases the failure only happens when I use the
brakes, never at start> up. (and never consistently) Eventually I do take the
bike over to my local> BMW dealer. Fault codes suggest a faulty iABS
modulator.> Repair estimate from BMW Canada, $500 labour and $3600 for the
modulator!> (that's not a typo)> Needless to say, with a little googleling one
soon finds the same part is> approximately $2000 in the US. Now I am quite
sure BMW Canada has a very> good reason for charging $1500 more than their
counterparts in the US.> Perhaps the Canadian version comes with a life time
warranty? Maybe its gold> plated? (I am positive if customer service ever
returns the three calls I> made last week, I will find out!)> > But until then
I have been thinking of plan B.> > Plan B: I order the modulator from the US
and install it myself.> (I like plan B because I am one of those cheap BMW
self maintainers)> > So the question I have been unable to resolve even after
searching and> reading every iABS related thread on the planet.> > Is the ABS
modulator a plug and play unit right out of the box? (of course> after filling
and bleeding!) The current part number 34517685790, is listed> for the RS, GS
and R models.> Is there some> special set up or adjustment that only a BMW
dealer can perform with their> diagnostic computer?> > I suspect the unit is
in fact plug and play, and the computer is used only> to test and record
results. But I have no way to verify this, and I do not> want to order a part
I cannot install! Does anyone on this list know the> answer?> > Hope I haven't
bored everyone with my long drivel.> > regards, paul>
Try Chicktionary, a game that tests how many words you can form from the
letters given. Find this and more puzzles at Live Search Games!
http://g.msn.ca/ca55/207