Re: Replacing battery on 2004 1150 RT

Alan Schlageter wrote:

> It's time to replace the battery on my 2004 1150 RT. Does anyone have a
> detailed description on how to do this - What panels need to be removed
> and in what sequence - Where the hidden screws are? Does the gas tank need
> to come off?
>
> Any and all help will be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Al

Alan,
            i replaced the battery not so long ago on my 1100RT and i am
certain that it is exactly the same procedure.
You need to remove the seat, followed by the left hand side mirror assembly
( classing left with you sitting on the bike ). This mirror is held in by
spring clips and it will just pull off if you are firm enough.
After that the entire left hand side upper fairing panel needs to be
removed. Just work your way around it and remove each dome headed bolt as
you come to it ( there are quite a few).
Once done this panel can be CAREFULLY lifted off and the battery will be
revealed at the point where the front edge of the seat touches the tank.
Remove the first battery lead and then slide the battery towards you giving
you access to the second lead which you then remove.Be careful not to short
anything out when you are removing it!
I hope this helps.
Also be careful not to damage anything as you are dealing with painted
surfaces!

I am sure that if i have missed something someone will be along to further
advise you.

Regards Darryl