Re: Reformed Oilhead Spline Luber

<<I will understand if you don't want to answer, but I think there has
to be something in between "gearbox problems" and "giving away
secrets" that would allow one to understand the nature of the problem.>>

OK, I can be slightly more specific.

BMW does not build their gearboxes. They subcontract those boxes out to Getrag, and Getrag has to meet a price level set by BMW. To do that, they keep cutting corners. They reduce the quality of components, and they make design decisions to make assembly less labor-intensive. Those considerations do not exist in my shop. I can select better components, I can choose machining and assembly techniques that are more labor-intensive but which control the fit of the finished product better.

That's as specific as I will be.

Tom Cutter
Yardley, PA
http://www.RubberChickenRacingGarage.com