RB67 Roll 3

Wednesday, July 30 2015

Most of these were taken in March/April. I then got busy with other projects and let the camera sit for a while. A few weeks ago I finally finished off the roll of film.

The goal of these is not to take a great picture although that would certainly be nice. I don’t think or see in B&W and am trying to get a feel for how this camera works with the film (Tri-X) and developer (Diafine) that I’m using. All shots were metered using an EI of 1200.

Japanses Doll #1

Japanses Doll #1

Japanses Doll #1
Japanses Doll #2

Japanses Doll #2

Japanses Doll #2

Two images of a doll. The first I let the scanner auto expose and didn’t go back to fix. It was underexposed, anyway. I’m learning that this camera/film wants more light and if the reading is borderline err on that side.
#1 f/5.6 1/8s
#2 f/5.6 1/4s

Chinon SLR

Chinon SLR

Chinon SLR

Another under exposed shot. This is a 1980 era 35 mm SLR that my brother gave me. I’ve run one roll of very old fiml though it so far. Eventually I’ll get back to playing with it.
f/5.6 1/4s

Across the street

Across the street

Across the street
Jasmine

Jasmine

Jasmine

These Two pictures were taken on a sunny day. I’m disapointed in that I blew out the details of the Jasmine flowers. It wasn’t unexpected, though.
Across the street – f/22 1/400s
Jasmine – f/11 1/250s

Maple #1

Maple #1

Maple #1
Maple #2 (expose for shadows)

Maple #2 (expose for shadows)

Maple #2 (expose for shadows)

This was a surprise. In the first image I metered the full sun and expected to see more detail in the maple. In the second image I metered for the shadows. For that I expected the maple to be completely blown out. Interesting results.
#1 f/32 1/400s
#2 f/8 1/400s

Rail and Red Ball

Rail and Red Ball

Rail and Red Ball

A sceene with less dynamic range.
f/5.6 1/400s

Super villian 1

Super villian 1

Super villian 1
Super villian 2

Super villian 2

Super villian 2

The grand kids hadn’t yet destroyed the Lego super villian. It makes for a handy model.
#1 f/6.7 1/30s
#2 f/3.5 1/125

When I turned off the scanner auto exposure/level and locked it to whatever it read from the film base for this roll I got good blacks (expected). When importing the tif files into Lightroom the range is from black to grey. I have to push the hightlights a lot to get anything close to white. I think this is mostly a scan issue. The program (VueScan) has Eleventy Seven knobs to turn that all effect the result.

Saturday, August 1st

Some time with the VueScan doc plus a bit of playing with the user interface shows that I can not set the white point if I have the color balance set to none. Given that these are B&W images that somewhat surprised me. Setting the color balance to manual lets me take a look at the histogram of the scanned image and set the white point before saving. This is better than playing with the brightness (gamma) control as I was doing. I rescanned the images and did some minor editing for comparison. I see I should have spent more time doing dust removal on some of these images, too.

Japanses Doll #1 - 2nd scan

Japanses Doll #1 - 2nd scan

Japanses Doll #1 - 2nd scan
Japanses Doll #2 - 2nd scan

Japanses Doll #2 - 2nd scan

Japanses Doll #2 - 2nd scan
Chinon SLR - 2nd scan

Chinon SLR - 2nd scan

Chinon SLR - 2nd scan
Across the street - 2nd scan

Across the street - 2nd scan

Across the street - 2nd scan
Jasmine - 2nd scan

Jasmine - 2nd scan

Jasmine - 2nd scan
Maple #1 - 2nd scan

Maple #1 - 2nd scan

Maple #1 - 2nd scan
Maple #2 (expose for shadows) - 2nd scan

Maple #2 (expose for shadows) - 2nd scan

Maple #2 (expose for shadows) - 2nd scan
Rail and Red Ball - 2nd scan

Rail and Red Ball - 2nd scan

Rail and Red Ball - 2nd scan
Super villian 1 - 2nd scan

Super villian 1 - 2nd scan

Super villian 1 - 2nd scan
Super villian 2 - 2nd scan

Super villian 2 - 2nd scan

Super villian 2 - 2nd scan