1966 BMW R69S Restoration: October 1998 [page 2]
1998 October 24 (Saturday)
I didn’t have much time this day so only removed the the tail light bucket and rear wheel.
Tail light bucket
The tail light bucket is held on by 4 small bolts from the underside of the mudguard. It came off easy. I noted where the wiring came through the mounting bracket in my notebook. The rubber gasket between bucket and mudguard was in good shape. I didn’t have to replace it.
While in the area I pulled the R69S emblem and stored it with the rubber gasket. There should have been rubber washers between the emblem and the mudguard. I tired to order some before putting things back together and instead wound up with a spare R69S emblem. Eventually (2007) I got the proper washers.
The mudguard brace bolts also needed replacing. The parts list called for M8 x 30 (13 mm head). I eventually solved my nut and bolt needs by ordering a stainless steel hardware kit.
When I removed the axle nut I saw that the washer that should have been there was missing. That type of thing turned out to be common. Everything needed to be checked against the parts list.
The axle came out easy, but I saw some light scratches on it it a zig-zag pattern that looked like something hard was rubbing against it as I rotated it back and forth while pulling it out.
The wheel didn’t come out until I removed some air and squeezed the rubber a bit. It’s a 4.00x18 that is almost 4.5 inches wide trying to fit between the left spring leg mounting screw and the brake shoes, a space a bit less than 4 inches. Removing the nut that holds the left spring leg and backing out the mounting bolt also helped make some space.
1998 October 25 (Sunday)
The breakfast club had a great turnout today and the weather was conducive to an after breakfast ride so again, not much done.
Rear brake linkage
I cleaned up the brake actuating rod with some emery cloth when I first got the bike. At that time I notices that the angle lever and the thrust rod lever (the stuff at the break pedal) had not been painted (or plated) with the rest of the bike by the previous owner. Good. Less clean up as they are to be plated. I got most of the linkage apart save the thrust rod lever from the brake pedal. A bit of liquid wrench, a drift, and a rubber mallet took care of the stuck bits.
I’d almost bumped into the rear mudguard braces a half a dozen times. Hint to self: if you remove the mudguard you won’t hurt yourself. I first noted where the wires to the tail-light are tied into the terminal block before disconnecting them. The mudguard came off easy. It looked to be in reasonable shape. It seems that each bolt had a different complement of washers and lock-washers, though.