1966 BMW R69S Restoration: December 1998 [page 2]
1998 December 4 (Friday)
It was time to remove the remaining parts from the frame; the front forks and the center stand. The front forks were interesting. The R69S is supposed to have a hydraulic steering damper. This bike has a friction damper (using the R69S damper rod with the dot and 180 degree detents).
I removed the handlebar and handlebar risers. The riser were in sad shape. I thought about replacing them with stainless versions. Instead I swapped my old risers (plus a bunch of cash) for re-plated risers.
I unscrewed the damper rod from the pressure plate, noting the missing cotter pin. The pressure plate must be held as it will fall off once the damper rod is removed. The rod, pressure plate, lock cap, and safety washer came off easily. I then removed the special bolt that stops the pressure plate from rotating. That bolt was held to the forks by a castle nut. That cotter pin was not missing.
The friction plate came off by removing the retaining screw, also held on with a castle nut and cotter pin. The parts book calls for a spring washer: missing. There was lots of play where the friction plate mounted to the frame. Also, the mounting tab looked bent. This, plus the missing hydraulic damper, was the first of many indications that the bike was likely in an accident some time in its past and wound up with a replacement front end.
The upper fork guide was held on by two chrome bolts and the upper fork nut. I used the 36 mm wrench from the tool kit to remove the upper fork nut. Below the fork guide is a spacer then the lower fork nut. I removed the lower nut while holding the forks. The cap and bearings came out with the nut. They were easily separated.
There is good news and there is bad news. The good news is that sometime in the past roller bearings were fitted to these forks. The bad news is that it looks like someone tried brute force to break the fork lock at one time or another. The fork steering tube looks slightly bowed. Also, the bottom bearing doesn’t want to come off. Perhaps I need to apply a little heat.
I eventually decided to replace the bearings. With new bearings in hand it didn’t bother me that I destroyed the old bearing getting it off. Removing the races, however, is another story.
I almost forgot about the name plate. I removed it and stored with the fork mounting hardware.
I removed the center stand by removing the bolts and bushings at the pivot before removing the springs. I though it would be much easier that way.
The center stand was the last thing to come off of the frame. The second picture shows many of the pieces removed. The box full of zip-lock bags in the center of the picture is most of the mounting hardware.