1966 BMW R69S Restoration: February 2000 [page 3]
2000 February 10 (Thursday)
Yesterday I prepared all info the accountants need to do taxes. That means I have a little time to play with the bike this afternoon. I’d like to get the rest of the body work on and verify some of the electric bits.
Rear fender wiring
I looking at my notebook to see what went where with regard to the rear fender wiring harness. The only change I made to the harness at this point was the addition of a small bit of heat-shrink tubing for protection.
Tail light bucket
I put the original rubber gasket around the bucket as it was still in good shape. The license plate lens is a replacement item.
Tail light wiring
After installing the taillight bucket it became obvious that one of the wires was too short. I spliced on a new section (using solder AND a mechanical connection. As long as the soldering iron was hot I tinned the ends of the wires before attaching the lens assembly.
I took the battery off the Battery Tender and slid it into place on top of the pad. I took the air cleaner off to make it easier to get at the strap that holds it in place. The bundle of wires at the top of the battery is for the Battery Tender. It will eventually be hidden by a cover.
It’s alive, kind of… I’ve a neutral indicator and the head and tail lights work as does the brake light. I don’t have the red GEN light, but perhaps that is because I’ve not fully connected the magneto. Will check later. (Later: the bulb was bad and needed to be replaced.)
Awwww. I broke the R69S emblem. Reproductions are available. I guess I’ll have to order one.
License plate frame
The license plate frame is the last bit of body work to go on the bike. Not shown is the very ugly California license plate I then installed. I’ve found the name of a person in Connecticut who does restorations and makes duplicates. Maybe it’s time to call.