Re: Helmets -- when do you change?

"A. Nguyen" writes:
 > I replace mine at roughly the same interval
 > as Snell standards,  every 5 years.

Measuring helmet life in years seems so wrong.   My experience leads me
to believe that normal helmet wear is the compression of the inner lining.
I assume that helmet lining compression is directly proportional to time
worn.

It my assumptions are correct then 5 years would be too short for
someone who only rides 2K/year and too long for someone who rides
25K/year.   If the Snell folks assume an average use of 10K/year than
there 5 years that matches the 50K miles that I've been using without
thinking about it.

Of course using your helmet as a basketball voids all of the above.

// marc