RE: New guy message..

This explains why my tranny began the slip-clunk immediately after it was repaired for the input shaft seal leak.  The dealer told me they did some "updates" to the transmission and it should be better than ever.  At the time I was so grateful that BMW had stepped up to help fix my input shaft leak (cost me $400, mostly for the clutch parts, BMW paid 75% labor and all transmission parts) that I didn't make a big issue out of it. The bike was 2.5 years out of warranty.

It used to only do it around 4500 RPM (always in third gear) and full throttle.  Now, 13,000 miles later, it will do it at relatively low RPM and light throttle. Am I headed toward a catastrophic failure?

- -----Original Message-----
From: owner-oilheads@xxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-oilheads@xxxxxxxxx]On
Behalf Of ABSDoug@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Sunday, December 07, 2003 8:20 PM
To: oilheads@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: New guy message..

  One of the update kits for these pre-M97 transmission was to change
bearings. According to my BMW tech, he finally recently was told by higher
ups what was the problem. The "clunk" was the two piece input shaft
(cush-drive) caming over. The reason it camed over, according to my BMW tech
friend/ex room-mate was the gears that road in the bearings the update kit
was supposed to fix would bind just a bit of just enough time to make the
input shaft cam over. The input shaft gear would show uneven wear backing up
this hypothesis. The update kit was canceled so one can assume enough people
still had problems.