Re: BMW: Requesting first-hand experiences re permanent Autocom installation

On Thursday, Dec 11, 2003, at 10:12 US/Eastern, Steve Makohin wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have been happily running an Autocom Pro system for 3 years on a
> "portable" basis (battery powered, pocketed unit). I have purchased all
> the wires, connectors, and the power supply to permanently install the
> unit. Does anyone have any first-hand experience that they can share in
> this area.  I am concerned that I may inadvertently introduce noise
> into
> the system if I do something silly. My plan is to install the Autocom
> in
> a water-resistant box in the fairing of my R1100S along with the power
> supply, and to run two cables (rider and pillion) over the fuel tank
> but
> under the Tupperware (further from ignition sources) to have one helmet
> plug exit just beneath the seat near the front end, and another nearer
> the center of the seat, around the side vent.
>
> Does anyone have a better idea? Any experiences that could result in
> "gotchas"? Thanks in advance.
>
> -

Keep the autocom unit and any cables associated with it away from the
FI "brain", unless you like knowing when your injectors are opening...

:-o

My autocom is always placed in the tail section on both of my RSs. I am
not sure how much space is available on the tail of an S bike.

Make sure you ground it to the frame. Do not share a negative lead with
any electrical component.

Robert

95 R11RS
88 KRS Special