RE: Battery vs. Tender

Steve Makohin wrote:

> On 12/13/03 1:11 PM, Martin Lodahl lodahl@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
> >Stan said, on the subject of my battery woes:
> >
> >> I'm with the rest of the group consensus, MY next battery (for
> >> the RT) will
> >> be the Odessy (set and forget).
> >
> >That may well end up being the answer.  The warranty booklet says the
> >battery is covered for 12 months.  The bike left the dealership 13 months
> >ago ...
>
> My 2000 R1100S is 3.5 years old. I started "Tendering" the factory
> battery the first winter, and I have continued to do so each winter, and
> if the bike is not in use for more than a week or so. Electrolyte is
> checked annually. No sign of the battery giving up the ghost. My car's
> battery ('97 BMW 328ic) is 6.5 years old, and running on the original
> battery. Am I just lucky?

On other bikes, I've come to expect 3 to 5 years on a good battery.

I bit the bullet and pulled the tank, which wasn't as much of a thrash as I
was expecting.  It'll be easier yet the next time.  Only one cell still had
electrolyte over the plates.  Sigh.  So it's charging again, now, and
tomorrow I'll see if the symptoms have changed.  And will check the battery
with every oil change or change of season (it gets damn hot, here).

Thanks for all the excellent advice.

	- Martin
- --
Martin Lodahl of Auburn, CA