Re: holed pistons

In a message dated 1/4/2004 11:32:56 AM Eastern Standard Time, bill@xxxxxxxxx writes:

> >Yea, well, I wouldn't know about the advanced timing part, butt I've
> >been running my '95 R11GS on mid grade fuel for 132K, after having
> >drivability problems with premium. No holed pistons yet,

I would tend to think the advanced timing was the real culpert.  In the old days when you wanted to run your car on less than premium gas you would often retard the spark not advance it.  Advancing the spark tends to make more horse power but only up to the point you don't get pre-ignition... the dreaded pinging.  This will put a hole in a piston just about as quick as a dropped valve.   The pistons are after all only alum and can be burned thru quite quickly.

Paige