Re: old design was oilheads-digest V1 #47

Lou,
However your e-mail was not meant to me, I just want to say that I agree
with your approach to biking.  I am riding a '92 R1100RS over 85,000 miles,
but my mechanical interest is in old bikes.  Currently I am building two
boxer bikes, 1938/1939 KS600 Zundapps.  These bikes, with their 600 cc
engine, max. rpm. 4800, H.P.=28, drive shaft driven.  It's a nostalgic
project, I rebuild those bikes which I built 55 years ago.

I did not take part in this thread lately, because I spent 52 years as a
design engineer, although not in engine design.  I know how many thoughts
and considerations, trial and error and re-trial and re-design goes into a
project.

All what I read in this thread, I am sure, was considered by the engineers
who came up with the oilhead engine.
But not the engineer who has the final word, the administration, the sales
and market research which are greatly govern a design.

BMW wanted to abandon the boxer engine, that's why the "brick" was born. I
have a '92 K75s, it's a great engine, in my opinion it's better than the
R1100s but lacks the suspension which the R1100/1150 are great for, among
other things.

Boxer engine survived on popular request.  No use to compare BMW boxers with
the "rice burners".  No matter in which form the boxer comes, they are all
touring machines, at best sport-touring, but never track-racing bikes.  In
this thread apples are compared with oranges.

However they are not the smoothest by far,  I like boxer engines, it's
personal.
Bob Silas
'94 R1100RS, '92 K75s + ........