Re: old design was  oilheads-digest V 1 #47

On 1/6/04 10:10 PM, john h. outlan joutlan@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> [...]

This information is according to a documentary I saw on the TV regarding
the history of motorcycle. A large grain of salt should be handy, as I am
not personally able to validate the authenticity of these apparently
logical claims.

The history of motorcycling in the US and Europe was allegedly influenced
by the horsemen in the respective countries, and their preferred riding
style. According to the documentary, European horsemen often found
themselves in wooded areas and hilly terrain, and they preferred to have
their stirrups and saddle in a configuration in which it was easier for
the rider to avoid low hanging boughs, and to readily adjust his balance
- -- the rider was often crouched slightly, knees bent and feet pretty well
beneath the saddle. Horsemen venturing into towns and villages found
themselves amongst "old architecture" -- roads were narrow and twisty,
originally designed for nothing more than being traversed on foot.

When the dawn of the motorcycling era was upon Europe, there were no
cruisers, "street fighters" or "standards". Motorcycles simply started
out as bicycles with an engine. But as these motorcycles evolved, it
"made sense" to European riders that they should have similar
characteristics to those that European horsemen found to be desirable:
Something that could negotiate old European towns and village streets
(narrow and twisty). To the European, having a motorcycle configuration
that was similar to the typical horseback riding style, was an "obvious"
choice. This eventually took the form of sport inclined motorcycles.

Contrast this, according to the documentary, to North America, where
horsemen tended to work the plains; large expanses of mostly flat lands.
North American riders tended to lean back in the saddle, butt planted
firmly in the saddle, and feet forward of the vertical center line. The
terrain in North America as well as the towns and villages were different
than in Europe. Streets tended to be built wider, and distanced between
towns were greater due to the vastness of the land. As motorcycles
evolved in North America from their "bicycle with a motor" origins, they
tended to take the form of the plainsman's mount: upright or slightly
back seating posture, feet forward of center, and optimized for straight
line traveling for "longer" distances. This lead to the cruise style
motorcycle which remains popular in North America to this day.

Disclaimers:

 o People who described the above events claim to have studied the
   history of motorcycling, and specifically, the origins of these
   two different styles of motorcycles.

 o When I visited The Art Of Motorcycle exhibit put on in Las Vegas
   by the Guggenheim Museum, their statements on this subject were
   consistent.

 o I have no more information to indicate the accuracy of these
   claims.

- -Steve

 Oakville, Ontario, Canada
 2000 R1100S/ABS, Mandarin