Re: old design was  oilheads-digest V 1 #47

On Wednesday, Jan 7, 2004, at 11:56 US/Eastern, Steve Makohin wrote:

> My possibly incorrect understanding is that exceptionally few
> horse-drawn
> coach builders became automobile manufacturers,

They built coaches (or complete auto bodies) for automobiles not the
auto itself. Notice the distinction. I m also referring to the time
before Henry Ford and "mass production" Companies such as Duesenberg
come to mind.

> To bring this back into the context of my previous posting about
> motorcycles, it lends "credence" to the Guggenheim Museum's statements
> that the differences in motorcycle styles favored in North America
> versus
> Europe were influenced by the riding styles of the horsemen that
> preceded
> them in the respective geographies, even though there is no evidence
> that
> those horsemen actually became motorcycle manufacturers.

I do not doubt that european motorcycles were influenced by the riding
styles of horses. I wonder if the same is true for U.S. motorcycles?
Unless the bicycle was influenced by western horse riding.

Robert

95 R11RS
88 KRS Special