Re: New Design?

On Sunday, Jan 11, 2004, at 12:23 US/Eastern, Stan Rife wrote:

> 	Funny, I seem to remember JUST reading about the new R1200 oilhead
> engine that is putting out 100 horsepower. Maybe this engine will make
> it's
> way in to an RT model. If the oilhead engine were pushed far enough, I
> would
> wager that it could put out similar horsepower to the DUC. It
> certainly has
> the displacement. THEN we could look forward to having the longevity
> and
> dependability of the DUC, along with the high service costs, or
> frequency of
> servicing anyway.

The weight man! The weight! You may have 100 HP, but, you are still
pushing that all that excess weight around. More power is only part of
the equation.

> 	Spline lube????? What's a spline lube? 36,000 and I have no stinkin
> spline lube.

Yes my oilhead has not had any spline lubes in its 65000 miles. This is
a big improvement over the mono-lever k bikes that needed the shaft
splines lubed every other tire change. But a chain and sprocket set is
easy to replace and is not too expensive.

>  What are the symptoms, what should I look for? I
> have not had a problem in 36,000 miles. No leaks, seeps, drips, runs or
> errors.

well my oilhead leaks at one of those cam chain adjustment plastic caps
even after a new gasket was installed.. And I have had to replace a
head gasket.

> 	How many chains does a DUC go through in 36,000 miles...or 100,000
> for that matter?

Chains last around ~35000 miles

>  I don't think I'll have to EVER change my driveshaft
> because it stretched out and wore out the rear end.

It is worth the saving in weight.

Robert

95 R11RS
88 KRS Special