Re: leaking plastic caps

On 1/12/04 10:15 AM, rennsport@xxxxxxxxx rennsport@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

>On Monday, Jan 12, 2004, at 09:55 US/Eastern, Steve Morse wrote:
>>

>> A buddy of mine works at the local BMW dealership. He
>> tells me that the leak is caused by the parting line
>> in the molded plastic cover. He removes the cover and
>> files off the mold mark = no leak. I replaced my
>> covers with some prettier billet ones - for looks not
>> because they leaked (they didn't leak).
>>
>Steve,
>
>Where did you get the billet caps? In the meantime, I will remove the
>parting line you speak of on the plastic cap.

Another Steve here. I have an R1100S with billet cam tunnel covers that I
got from MAP Engineering
(http://www.map-engineering.com/bmwaccessories.htm). I also got a number
of cosmetic pieces like swing-arm end-caps:

  http://www.interlog.com/~wateredg/Bike/Pic_RightLG.html

And an aluminum cap that covers a big bolt on the inside of the swingarm
(the picture shows the cap in an odd view between the spokes of the rear
wheel. It is much less prominent from other views):

  http://www.interlog.com/~wateredg/Bike/Pic_UnderLG2.html

I can't recall where I got those pieces, though.

- -Steve

 Oakville, Ontario, Canada
 2000 R1100S/ABS, Mandarin