Re: oilheads-digest V1 #62

On Thursday, Jan 15, 2004, at 13:01 US/Eastern, ABSDoug2@xxxxxxxxxxx
wrote:

> 	Mike, all,
> 	The Corvette ZR1 proved that the consumers were not willing to
> pay the cost of a modern DOHC V-8. The ZR1 had a LOT more
> potential than what can be squeezed out of a pushrod V-8.

Well don't tell that to Calloway(sp?)

>  I also
> think unfortunately, the NASCAR crowd has to have a certain
> sound.

Most of the NASCAR crowd does not drive Corvettes. If they do, you can
be sure they are corvettes with auto trannies. Most NASCAR fans drive
Transcamaros.

> The mystic of the Corvette name comes secondary to
> technology. Hell I fell for it years ago! The Acura NSX, the last
> model Mazda RX7 were more "real" sports cars then the pushrod
> Corvette. I wonder how long a 400> HP pushrod engine compares
> with the rest of the field in durability?

Got any DATA? The pushrod V8 is very reliable. The Corvette has also
performed well in endurance racing. The thing you have to remember is
that today's V8 is not the same engine developed almost 50 yrs ago.

>  The Mustang seems to sell well though I haven't looked at actual
> sales numbers. The Mustang has DOHC.

Yes the mustang has DOHC, but, it is an under-performer and not a real
sportscar. Only within the last ~2 yrs has the mustang had independent
rear suspension.

>  I think another problem with
> the ZR1 was the technicians qualified to work on the engine. Cost
> and down time shipping engines around.

Cost is probably the biggest thing For the vette, especially the ZR1!
Of GM has sold every corvette made in every model year, so it must not
be too overpriced.

Robert

95 R11RS
88 KRS Special