Re: oilheads-digest V1 #49

- ----- Original Message -----
From: "Don MacQueen" <dmac@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, January 16, 2004 9:01 AM
Subject: RE: oilheads-digest V1 #49

> Current styling is stale.

Which bikes are you referring to?
FWIW, I think the R1150R is a real sleeper.
The RT is still a looker.
The GS just got better.

> 100 honest RWHP

No problem for a multi cylinder motor, but maybe a tall order for
the current Boxer.

> At least 75 fewer pounds.

Lighter would be nice. I'd certainly appreciate it. But some seem
to appreciate the stability offered by the extra heft.

FWIW2, I think the new R1200 GS is exciting.

> Sadly, what I have found is most of what BMW offers (excluding
the
> "mystique") at lower purchase and operating costs, with equal
or
> greater reliability.

I don't see reliability to be a prime reason to buy BMW.
Hasn't been so for a while. Going forward, BMW will have
difficulty differentiating itself on reliability. Reliability is
becoming a given. For example, I expect a Honda ST1100 to be very
reliable and low maintenance for the first 150,000 miles.

But there are other reasons. If you appreciate fit and finish and
quality of materials used, for example. If you appreciate
innovative engineering. If you value riding something a little
more unique.

>BMW seems to be ignoring that group, *and* seems to
> be standing still technologically and stylistically.

Historically, they have never been cutting edge (Telelever, ABS
etc aside).
The Boxer sure is not cutting edge. They've masssaged it about as
much as is possible. In a very real sense,  BMW is prisoner of
legacy systems. It cannot start with a clean slate (for example
like Honda can). It has legacy to protect.
This has both benefits and liabilities.

As a consumer, what'd I'd appreciate is more market
responsiveness and less arrogance. If there is a problem, admit
it. Then fix it. Don't deny it.

Bruno  (Getting a serious case of lust for the new GS1200)
Montreal, Canada
CBR 929
http://pages.infinit.net/mcrides