Re: oilheads-digest V1 #49

On Friday, Jan 16, 2004, at 12:54 US/Eastern, Bruno Valeri wrote:

> Which bikes are you referring to?
> FWIW, I think the R1150R is a real sleeper.

Yes, it went to sleep just after 1994.

> The RT is still a looker.

Yes, it still looks the same.

> The GS just got better.

For a GS bike it is a good.

>> 100 honest RWHP
>
> No problem for a multi cylinder motor, but maybe a tall order for
> the current Boxer.

Are you saying the current boxer engine is at the "end of the road"?

>> At least 75 fewer pounds.
>
> Lighter would be nice. I'd certainly appreciate it. But some seem
> to appreciate the stability offered by the extra heft.

So we are rationalizing this "extra heft" by saying it adds to the
stability of the bikes? Some how I do not think that is the reason the
bike's weight.

> FWIW2, I think the new R1200 GS is exciting.
>
>> Sadly, what I have found is most of what BMW offers (excluding
> the
>> "mystique") at lower purchase and operating costs, with equal
> or
>> greater reliability.
>
> I don't see reliability to be a prime reason to buy BMW.

Shh... There are a good number of BMW owners that would disagree with
you.

> But there are other reasons. If you appreciate fit and finish and
> quality of materials used, for example.

Quality materials? Surely you jest! Playdough rims,  transmissions that
die befor the warranty is out...

>  If you appreciate
> innovative engineering.

Well what besides telelever has this innovative engineering got us?

> If you value riding something a little
> more unique.

This is why I own and ride BMW, however, this is not a good reason to
go and buy a current R1150RS. It is just more of the same.

> The Boxer sure is not cutting edge. They've masssaged it about as
> much as is possible. In a very real sense,  BMW is prisoner of
> legacy systems. It cannot start with a clean slate (for example
> like Honda can). It has legacy to protect.

Why not? They killed the Airhead (finally).

> This has both benefits and liabilities.

All I see are liabilities.

> As a consumer, what'd I'd appreciate is more market
> responsiveness and less arrogance. If there is a problem, admit
> it. Then fix it. Don't deny it.

Well it seems their (BMW) plan is to deny then fix it later. The soft
rims are a good example.

Robert

95 R11RS
88 KRS Special