RE: oilheads-digest V1 #49

On 1/16/04 8:26 PM, Stan Rife srife@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>Don MacQueen wrote:
>
>> Current styling is stale.
>>
>> 100 honest RWHP
>>
>> At least 75 fewer pounds.
>>
>> The ability to have ABS exclusive of linked brakes or servo assist.
>
>Which manufacturer comes closest to giving you the things you would like to
>see in a BMW? Is there a bike that you consider the perfect one?
[SNIP]

Brilliant question! I hope Don does not mind if I jump in. I love my
current R1100S, but if someone twisted my arm and asked "what will it
take to get you to buy a new bike", my reply would be "gimme an R1100S
with 130 hp at 450 lbs wet with a counter-balanced engine, and I'd be
making bad financial decisions to get that bike." But that's just a
dream, and no, 117 hp at 475 lbs would not inspire me sufficiently (I
want a big jump up, not an incremental increase of performance for a big
wad of cash to replace my current paid-for bike).

So if my R1100S was stolen and I had to get a new bike, what would it be?
Damn! An R1100S, all over again. It's still closest to what I want.

So let me rephrase your question as Don once threw it at me: If I lost my
current bike, had to get a replacement, and it could not be the same
model as my current bike, what would it be? Likely a 2004 Honda VFR800
ABS with bags. It's the closest thing to what I like, but it comes with a
lot of compromises (to me) that I'd prefer not to make. It would suit my
needs, but my heart would be broken, not being in love with the Viffer as
I am with my R1100S. Go figure. Damned BMW riders ;-)

- -Steve

 Oakville, Ontario, Canada
 2000 R1100S/ABS, Mandarin