Re: Recent list discussions

From: <rennsport@xxxxxxxxx>

| On Saturday, Jan 17, 2004, at 11:26 US/Eastern, beemerphile1 wrote:
| >
| > Maybe you haven't noticed, BMW has released a new engine and
| > transmission in
| > the GS.
|
| That is not a new engine. It has an added counter balancer and other
| new bits added on (dual O2 sensors) but it is still the the same
| oilhead motor.

How many parts are interchangeable?  Why is it the same motor, because it
has two cylinders?

| >   My current
| > ride has all the power I need and takes me anywhere I want to go.
|
| A honda Rebel 250 will take you anywhere you want to go. Your point?

You made my point.  I don't want or need more horsepower.  I also happen to
like small bikes, but my R1100GS can pull a trailer and provide more than
adequate power.

| > My transmission failed two years ago and I believe it was a design
| > defect by
| > BMW.  That does not make all BMWs junk.  Many times products are
| > released to
| > the public before they should be and then the buyers act as beta
| > testers.

| So you are willing to wait ~10 years for BMW to fix a problem? I am
| thinking of the transmission here.

The transmission problem was solved in the 1997 model year.  There is no
record of an inordinate number of failures after that.  That, I believe, is
only four years after the introduction of the oilhead.

Tim