BMW Riders & Macintosh Users (was Re: 400 lb. Mille and road hugging weight)

On 1/21/04 5:40 PM, rennsport@xxxxxxxxx rennsport@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

>On Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004, at 17:20 US/Eastern, Steve Makohin wrote:

>>> A mille should weigh 445 lbs. with a full tank of gas.
>>
>> Hey Rob, do you work for Microsoft Tech Support?
>

>No! Bite your tongue! I hate microshaft products.

May we assume you are a "Mac Guy" then?

Just to break the winter doldrums, I'm reposting a short article I wrote
in September '03 (please view using a mono space font such as Courier or
Monaco).

There is an eerie resemblance in character between BMW motorcycle purists
and Macintosh computer fans. So much so, that I was inspired to write...

The Top-10 Ways in Which BMW Motorcycle Purists are Like Macintosh Fans
```````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

10. Voted by friends and family as "most unlikely to sit down and
    shut up" when it comes to their opinion on why their bike/Mac
    is so great.

 9. 97% of the world either disagrees with them, or doesn't care.

 8. You have to own one to understand. The others just don't
    "get it."

 7. Others who try it typically think it's weird, it's nice, but
    it's not what I want for myself.

 6. They are world-class leaders in creating Internet-based and
    in-person support groups where like-minded people can
    congregate. And they do!

 5. Their pride 'n joy only gets casual mention in multi-brand
    magazines where hard, boring numbers are quoted, while
    brand-dedicated magazines tell the whole story including all
    the juicy details of awe, innovation, and excitement.

 4. Intra-brand rivalry is prevalent (R bike owners vs K bike
    owners, and Mac OS 9 versus the totally rewritten and very
    different Mac OS X).

 3. They feel the world was a dull void before their bike/Mac was
    created, and surely nothing will ever be created to surpass it
    if it differs significantly from what they have today.

 2. Them: It's not the tool, but what you do with it.
    BMW/Mac: It's the tool.

 1. Their manufacturer tells it like it is:
      (Mac): The World's Fastest Personal Computer
      (BMW): The Ultimate Riding Machine
    And it's lonely at the top!

Disclaimer: Don't egg my house. I ride an R1100S and I use a Next
Generation iMac, and I like them both. A lot. Really!

- -Steve

 Oakville, Ontario, Canada
 2000 R1100S/ABS, Mandarin