Re: Poor gas mileage

On 1/22/04 6:05 AM, Wayne Woodruff wayne@xxxxxxxx wrote:

>>I have a '95 R1100R with a catless Remus exhaust and the catcode plug
>>pulled. My mileage is only 17,000 and gas mileage is about 32-35 mpg.My
>>mechanic tells me I should replace my throttle cables. He synced the
>>throttle bodies, but the mileage is still low and tells me that the
>>throttle bodies aren't staying in sync which is causing the low gas
>>mileage. Collective wisdom would be appreciated. Will replacing the cables
>>make a difference? Would a potentiometer? Would a tan catcode plug?
>>TIA.
>>Peter
>
>Well, my first question is when did you notice the gas mileage was
>32-35?  Was it that low from day one?  My stock R1100R got around
>35-38 in commuting conditions.
>
>One day, I pulled the cat code plug and ran for a few tanks and
>discovered that the mileage was ~32 - consistent with what you are
>experiencing.  I put the cat code plug back.

Your observations are consistent with widespread reports related to
surging. When the owner of a surging R Oilhead pulled the Cat Code Plug
(CCP), fuel consumption increases. If that's your reason for pulling the
CCP and mileage is an issue for you, consider getting a Techlusion box
(www.techlusion.com). It eradicates surging in most cases but increases
fuel consumption (less than pulling the CCP, though). Another alternative
for curing surging with a very slight improvement in fuel economy and
power, is dual plugging, but this is the costliest of solutions (see
www.sjbmw.com, click on service, for more info).

- -Steve

 Oakville, Ontario, Canada
 2000 R1100S/ABS, Mandarin