Re: Hydraulic Clutch Linkage Problem

In a message dated 1/24/2004 9:38:21 PM Pacific Standard Time,
rodneyneff@xxxxxxxxx writes:

<< The clutch engagement / disengagement system on my 2000gs with about 8k on
 it has  stopped functioning properly.

SNIP

 Did a search in the archives with almost no info, I dont recall anyone ever
 complaining about this on the several beemer lists I am on.
 No leakage at the master or slave, reservoir level is ok Coming off the
 slave  is a hose which leads to a device anchored near the back side of the
 helmet lock There is a cap screw at the top of it, but no familiar bleeder
 nipple.
 At the master is a set screw that the lever works against, but it has that
 factory set look about it.
 First thing I want to do is bleed the system, maybe that will cure the
 problem.
 Anybody done this, or have experience with the descirbed hydraulic clutch
 linkage problems?

 Thanks in advance.
 Rod Neff
 Santa Monica >>

Hey Rod-

I have no idea about your problem, but I can tell you how to bleed your
clutch.  If you remove that cap screw (hex head on mine) there should be threads
going down to a silver fluid retention ball.  You need to screw a bleed nipple
into those threads to push that ball down, then bleed as you would normally.
The required bleed nipple for my '02 GS is the same as the bleed nipple on the
front caliper of my '97 R1100RT.  I may even have a spare if you are
interested or you might be able to use a bleed nipple from the front caliper of your
'98 GS.

Jim Moore
San Diego, CA
'02 R1150GS