Re: Valve Adjustments

Greg,
I also never use the timing hole for TDC.

I have a 12mm dowl around 290mm long (about 11.5"), nicely smoothed, which I
place into the LH spark plug hole.  The end sticking out is notched to keep
a piece of elastic from slipping off and the other ends of the elastic
(which have old bungee hooks on them) are simply hooked onto cylinder fins
fore and aft.

It is really easy and accurate to find TDC by looking at the dowl while
turning the back wheel in top gear.  Then just adjust the side with the
loose valve rockers.  All fairings stay put on the RT for this.

I have noted, but not used, the "two feeler" method.  I can see that the
more worn the rocker bearing are that this method would be more accurate.  I
believe the "one feeler" method is accurate enough for me at this time :|
(and I already find juggling one feeler gauge, an allen key and a 10mm all
together in enough for my dexterity(sp?))

Regards
Clive Liddell
Pietermaritzburg, South Africa.
'96 R850R   70k.km