Re: What would you do?

Doug,

If your roommates batteries were just filled with acid and not charged, I
would not use them.  The initial charge is critical to getting batteries
to full strength and giving them a long life.  If they were fully charged
and then just left to sit... well its up to you.  As picky as my R1100RT
is about battery voltage and ABS faults, I wouldn't risk it.

As for using the BMW battery, I have no reason not to use it.  With the
amount of trouble it takes to check the acid level in the old-style
batteries, I'll never use a non-sealed battery again.  (I would guess that
the R1100RT is worse than your bike, but its still a tiresome chore that I
gladly stopped doing when I switched to sealed batteries.)

Best,

Dean Wegner
R1100RT
Just an Electrical Eng. who spends too much time reading battery specs
about charging and different voltages because of picky motorcycle ABS
systems.