Re: Subject: Re: Question for my fellow oilers

In a message dated 2/11/04 12:39:34 PM Eastern Standard Time,
stephanek@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
I'm trying to establish the value, for my purchase, of a '75 R90S. It is in
in excellent condition, and thoroughly complete, with spares, including
Krausers. A life time friend of mine bought it used in '80. He brought the
bike up from 93% to 100% and has kept it that way ever since. We quit
riding together in the late eighties as my attitude of a short ride, a
quickie, was about 400 miles, and his was 75 miles then a nap. He also
changed his life style as a wife came along then a few kids. From the day
he bought the bike I let it be known that the only other garage the bike
would ever grace would be mine. Now after twenty four years he calls me to
solicit my opinion on off road bikes (I'm a retired enduro racer) as he's
going to buy a bike for his son, and another for himself and do the
father-son motorcycle thing (I did that too,,starting my son at 7, riding
together, then racing together, until he ultimately moved to San Diego and
suddenly grew up..soon to be 28). My friend then announces that the the R90
is for sale, since it never gets ridden (no room in the garage..he bought a
new Triumph last Summer, and dirt bikes are coming).

I've been kicking around the net, and google looking to get a feel on the
bike's value. I can't seem to find the right source. I did see a Euro
version in 'great' condition for a wee bit under 2k. I'd sure appreciate
some helpful opinion here, and some good reference.
I intend to buy this bike, but want to tender an offer fair to both of us.
I do have an ace to play. I have a rifle that my friend has been salivating
over for about five years. This is my chip, and I can play it with no remorse.

The 1150 went in to Winter storage mode last week as I was compelled to
undergo a cervical 4-5 disc fusion. Aside from the dog collar I must wear
(feels like well fitting full-face helmet sans the top), the greatest
indignity is an arthritis flair I've experience in my feet.  So I've found
myself with lots of time to do things like shop motorcycles, buy miniatures
of the same on Ebay, read copious quantities of posts on IBMWR, here, and
the tech list, among others.  And this provokes another pair of questions:

Where does Steve in Ontario find so much time to be so knowledgeable (or
alter ego: opinionated) and share so much of it here?
Do Canadians have thirty six hour days?>>

    Dear SK-

    I guess you haven't been over to the Airheads list?, or the R90S list?
The value oa a "100%" R90S is between $6000 to $8000 right now. There are fewer
every day, and people insist on trying to hot-rod them, destroying the
collectability.

    If you saw a $2000 R90S and didn't jump on it, shame on you. That's the
price fo rone that's been in a house fire.

    That's just my opinion, but I've only been in the BMW business for 30
years.

Tom Cutter