Re: Deja Vu

Clive:

Well, come to think of it, we're just going to have to eventually learn new
service techniques for different things.  New bikes, new skills.   While we
wouldn't have to mess with the fussy throttle bodies anymore and the bike
would always be in synch, we would have to handle a more complex brake
system service, if we're real gearheads.  This might mean buying a few new
tools etc.  There's always tire changing and fluids and filter services.
Outside of that, we get to, you know, ride, which isn't such a bad thing
really.

There's always the chance that we'll be able to improve these bikes with new
chips etc.   They're really set pretty lean.  Who knows what sort of new fun
will be in store?    By the way, I thought I'd miss adjusting valves when my
95 M3 came with hydraulic lifters.  I'd been adjusting valves on 2002tii and
then an E30 M3 for 15 years.   Well, guess what?  I didn't.   My 95 has been
to more driving schools and had more high RPM running than either of the
other cars and it's still on the original set of plugs and still runs like a
top.   Only 48K miles on this car that will have it's 10th birthday on
December 10, 2004.

Sometimes, BMW know what their doing.   I do wish they'd fire Chris Bangle,
but that's another story.

By the way, when you pump your oil out of the crankcase, you miss the
dirtiest oil sitting in the bottom and the sediment.  Not as good as warm
oil dripping out the drain hole.  I must admit that I don't usually warm up
my bike before changing, but I change at twice the recommended interval, so
I'm not too worried about it.  I got 62k on my 1100 with no smoke from the
pipe.  I think my maintenance habits are OK for the bike.

- -TB

>Tom,
>You say:"An oilhead like that would be nearly maintenance free."

>We don't even have the PMS that many in the northern climes have and I like
to swing a wrench at something - so what will we have to do?  Just sit on an
upside down crate and look at the bike?  :)

>I think maintenance is just right as it is.  I would like to have a
dipstick
or similar facility so I can just pump out the old oil straight into the
recycle container like I do in my car (M-B).