Re: [Fwd: RT Linked Brakes]

rennsport@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> On Feb 18, 2004, at 14:07, Timo Viitanen wrote:
>
>> rennsport@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
>>
>>> Kinda reminds me of the German tiger tank that waas so
>>> over-engineered that it was not field serviceable. It was not
>>> uncommon for allied forces to come upon a Tiger tank with no battle
>>> dame and a full tank of gas abandoned due to mechanical failure.
>>

>> As you brought this up in this long and bit wasting thread...
>>
>> That comment about Tiger not being field serviceable is total bs. The
>> only reason allied troops captures some Tigers in relatively good
>> condition is that it took 2 or preferably 3 tigers to tow just one
>> that got broken. Actually there was a order that tiger tanks were not
>> allowed to tow other tigers under any condition.
>>
>> The reason for this was that the tiger was just too damn heavy.
>>
>> Nothing to do with motorcycles but as this subject just happens to be
>> a hobby of mine... :)
>>
>> /Timo (R1100RT)
>>

> I am not talking about towing them back to a Batallion HQ and repairing
> them. I am talking about repairing them on the road right where they
> broke down. This was one thing the Sherman tank was good for, it could
> be repaired by its crew.

At the time of war when tigers finally came out allied forces were
advancing at a good pace. So the germans just didn't have any time to
stop and repair the tanks. They had to use hit & run tactics. Only
allied forces could stop anywhere and stay there without getting
overrun by enemy forces. So you had to tow the tanks to safer place to
be able to repair them, this means out of the path the allied forces
are going to come within next 6-12 hours... It makes a big difference
in war if you are advancing or retreating all the time...

Other related problem for germans was that they didn't have the needed
factory capacity to make enough spare parts. They used all capacity to
make new tanks.

Thank god we have 50cm of snow here so I can't go and buy the new
R1200GS. I really loved to ride the old R1150GS adventure so I guess
this new one would be even better... :)

/Timo (R1100RT)