RE: Spline Lube

<<< Chains are know to need an occasional lube :-).   They are a
wear item
as is the drive sprocket. >>>
Yes and when they where out or even break, they are easy and
cheap to replace.
<<< This leads to questions of perception.   The perception is
that the drive
shaft splines lasts forever, so maintenance of the shaft is seen
as a
hardship and an example of "obvious manufacturing mis-design".

I've never did the splines on a car. Never even heard of it.
Never heard of splines failing in a car.
<<< What am I missing? >>>
Maybe it is me that is missing something, but this spline lube
stuff makes the whole concept of chain vs. shaft a different
story for me these days.