Splines

 The splines in BMW motorcycles are swaged, not machined, and are extremely
fine.  This is done probably because it is fast, and inexpensive.
Automobiles have deeper machined splines, as did the old /2 bikes.
Spline failure was unknown in the /2 models, as it is in automobiles.
I have a feeling that if the splines were machined in new bikes, that the
spline lube scenario would become history.  I'm not an M.E. or a machinist,
so I could be wrong, but that's my spin.

Al