Re: Spline Lube

In a message dated 2/28/04 5:30:32 AM Eastern Standard Time,
egrohe@xxxxxxxxxx writes:
<<One must never discount the possibility of a defective component on a bike.
They discussed, complete with photos, one failure on the BMWST BBS that
seemed to me to be an alignment problem between the tranny input shaft and
the clutch disk.>>

    I was referring to one customer who sxperienced two spline failures on
the same bike. I know of many other R1100's that have had failed splines. Seems
that the R1150GS is particularly hard hit. BMW will usually pay for the repair
under warranty, as they hope to keep the issue quiet. I've been a BMW
mechanic for 30 years, and spline failires are always an issue. Don't ask me why.
Since they started nickel-plating the splines, failures from fretting corrosion
have dropped way down. The misalignment issue was known on K75 models, due to
the bell housing being damaged in transit. Once they modified the crating
method on the affected models, the bell housing issue disappeared.

    Generally, a mismanufactured housing would show up on installation, and
would get pulled off the line. They are aware of the issue.

<<I have heard it said that one can see the clutch splines with the starter
motor off the bike.  That having been said what is the criterion for
deciding to lube the splines?  Sometimes it is better not to

    The splines are NOT vsible with the starter removed. The transmission
must be moved back a bit to see them.

    Personally, I would only lube splines on an oilhead while doing any other
job that required transmission removal, like clutch replacement, oil seal
replacement or transmission replacemtne (since my personal R1100S is now going
onto its' THIRD transmission replacement, I have the splines all good.)

Tom Cutter