RE: Oh, My Aching Back

Bob Hadden said:

> The most significant adjustment you can make to help your situation is
> to exercise.  This is true almost regardless of what is causing your
> back problems.  Also, if you are over weight, you need to fix that too.
>   If you need help with proper exercise, there are a very few physical
> therapists that can help you.  Also, Pilates and Swiss Ball type
> exercises that strengthen the core muscles are what you want to
> concentrate on.  If you don't do this, you will not get better.
> Period.

I'm in complete agreement.  To the extent that my gym has named me "Member
of the Month" on the strength of my sheer persistence.  And it has helped
considerably, as has bringing under control the diabetes discovered in the
gym physical that I had apparently had for some time.  Ergo my distress that
after being pain-free for most of the winter, it was back again after just a
hundred miles or so ...

> On the bike, I would recommend the Mayer saddle, which I have.  Well
> made and at a reasonable price.  Other than that, assuming you are of
> within the normal range of height and inseam etc. I don't think you
> will get much relief from changing the other items on the bike.  Make
> sure you sit up straight.  No slouching allowed.
>
> Good luck with what will be a life time effort towards good back health.

Good advice, and just what I was looking for.  Thanks.

	- Martin
- --
Martin Lodahl of Auburn, CA
lodahl@xxxxxxxxxxxx